Tuesday, August 16, 2005

And away it goes

Had my car towed to the service station today.

So, the problem wasn't the fuel filter. I still suspect that it's something clogged up in the fuel line, but my ability to diagnose/fix anything more complicated than what I've already done is nil. Another likely candidate is the EGR (exhaust gas recirculation system). As Paul says, "time was, every red-blooded american could fix their own car." Unfortunately, those times are long gone. Cars are just super-complicated nowadays, with gadgetery to improve efficiency, reduce emmissions, and of course add more POWER. I'm all for efficiency and reducing emmissions (I like breathing), but it seems that (almost) every red-blooded american is interested only in more power. For example, the "hybrid" Lexus RX400 which gets the same mileage (in real life) as the non-hybrid Lexus RX330, but accelerates faster. Why is it that fuel economy has been going DOWN since the 1980s (I read that somewhere but don't have a ref. Don't quote me on that, ok?)? Well, I don't really want this to be a diatribe against the car since I still own and operate one, however sparingly.

Hope it's not too serious or too expensive.

3 Comments:

At 11:03 AM, Blogger vok said...

The problem with economy has to do with bigger vehicles. But really it's just that people seem to be short-sighted.

 
At 11:06 AM, Blogger vok said...

Or even better.

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger David said...

Ah yes. The good ol' held back EPA report. Curious...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home